Installing Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) on HP EliteBook 8440P laptop
is a nice distro based on Ubuntu, it's very polished and has some nice easy to use features, and comes with all the codecs/plugins you need out of the box.
I've used it since version 5 on my laptop.
Version 9 (Isadora) is based on Ubuntu Lucid.
I work I got a new HP EliteBook 8440P and there where a few gotchas to get Mint(or any Linux) on it, mostly issues with the newer NVidia graphic card support.
Booting the LiveCD/Installer
Right off the bat, problem.
With the graphic card issue it would just display fuzzy pixels and be unusable (can't install)
So step 1:
When Booting the CD
, in the boot menu:
- highlight "start linux mint"
- press tab to edit the boot line
- replace quiet splash -- with nosplash nomodeset and press enter
This will allow to boot in a graphic mode that works (although less cute)
Once you have the Mint LiveCD booted up, click the "install mint"
desktop shortcut and install
... Nothing special here ...
end of install, shutdown
, remove disk
and press enter to reboot
First boot from Hard drive
More shenanigans for the video issue(now grub):
- press "e" to edit boot command
- on the line that starts with "linux ..." go to the end and replace "quiet splash" with "nosplash nomodeset"
Then press CONTROL and X
to boot mint
Fixing the Video problem forever in grub
We don't want to edit the boot command at each start :)
- Start a terminal : Click Menu/terminal
- execute: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
- change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT per-- GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quet splash"
- GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT per-- GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nosplash nomodeset"
- then save and close gedit
NVidia Video driver
Configure your network/wifi
(click the "network" icon in task bar) as it will be needed
Click the "hardware drivers" icon
(looks like a PCI card, next to volume control in right of task bar) and select "install drivers"
Activate the nvidia driver
It will download & install the nvidia graphic card driver
Making the brightness controls work
Still in terminal
execute sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In "Device" section add this line
: (before EndSection)
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
Save and close
: sudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-laptop-panel-hardware.fdi
to line 27, like this:
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product" contains_outof="4410s;4415s;4416s;Compaq 5X5;8440p">
It's a good time to install the software updates as well
Run "mint updates"
- shield icon in tak bar and install all available updates
REBOOT & Enjoy !
Most of those instructions inspired and lightly modified for Mint, from: